The History Section developed once with the museum institution in Braila, but two objects only were preserved in there from the initial heritage. Re-organised after 1955 into a memorial Section dedicated to the Bulgarian revolutionary Hristo Botev, it was changed into an exhibition of poster photographs depicting the important events from the national history. In time though the archaeological research became a priority as the specialists were interested in the study of the local history and the gathered collections allowed the organization of several main exhibitions, each reflecting the period in which it was formed.The present exhibition
– found in the building situated in 3, Piata Traian – the old centre of the city – which was raised in the first half of the 19th century – titled ‘Culture and civilization at the Lower Danube’ immerses the visitors into Braila’s past: the city and the mediaeval citadel (14th – 16th centuries), the Ottoman occupation (1538-1829), Braila’s liberation after the Russo-Turkish War (1828-1829), her re-annexation into the country’s boundaries and her development during the second half of the 19th century into the main part of the country, a powerful rival for the Russian port Odessa. Braila who became a great economic centre (in 1911 she was responsible for 80% of the sums that were making the entire foreign commerce of Romania) was considered as the real capital of the country by the contemporaries of that period whom were witnessing her unprecedented prosperity.
The exhibition display also contains information: on the history of the city’s main institutions organized after 1830 in accordance with the country’s legislation (‘Maghistrat’ – Magistrature, Mayoralty, Law Court, Police, Telegraph, Post Office, etc.), on public utility aspects and town-planning rules.
An important aspect is represented by: the re-organisation of the church after the dissolution of Proilavia Bishopric, the system of education and the city’s main cultural institutions: librairies, theatres and museums.
A special place has the collection of registration and sound reproduction devices.
The History Section ends with the recreation of a bourgeois room from the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. The temporary exhibitions
of the museum displaying exhibits from its own collection or organized in collaboration with prestigious specialized institutions from Romania maintained the public interest for the museum activity through their novelty and subjects which constituted their main appeal.
Among the successful exhibitions organized in 2004 we mention ‘United in Diversity’ dedicated to the celebration of the European Days, ‘The Juke-Box with Memories’ which displayed registration and sound reproduction devices from the collections belonging to ‘Stefan Procopiu’ Museum of Science and Technology (Iasi) and ‘Fashion and Social Life in the 19th Century’, project in full progress, started by the History Museum from Iasi, part of ‘Moldova’ National Museum Complex. Braila Museum, Galati History Museum, Prahova Archaeology and History Museum and Sibiu History Museum were invited to collaborate to this project, the latter withdrawing its participation during the course of events.
The heritage of the Section comprises collections of: numismatics, documents, manuscripts, old and rare Romanian and foreign books, decorative arts, science and technology, records, musical instruments, photographs and memorial objects.
The Collections were made out of donations, acquisitions and transfers.
Ghena Pricop - specialist in museography, Section Head, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Maria Stoica - specialist in museography, e-mail: email@example.com